Thursday, October 09, 2008

Windows 2008 Server Installation Experience on the 64 bit server

Finally I got to play with the most awaited server 2008. The installation was smooth and really faster if I compare the installation of older OS/servers like XP/2003. Overall, it was amazing experience to install 2008. I must say that I am impressed with the quality of installer Microsoft has produced this time. That WOW effect has now started with the installer itself. I played around a bit with 2008 configuration. The server roles is the new concept in 2008 including hyper v and it’s fun to configure it. I was searching for add/remove programs to install the IIS and its related components, old habit you see. But then realized that I have to add the server role and it takes care of the installation. I also played a bit with hyper v and created virtual hard disks. Next thing, I want to do is to compare hyper v with Virtual PC server and how compatible they are. I will keep you updated on this.

To summarize, I am impressed with Win 2008 server.

Cheers,
Amol

No comments: